When I started the Scholastic Book Clubs Facebook Page, Bob was one of our first fans. I was new to Ben’s family at the time. But yet, here was Bob: one of the first 5 supporting fans to the page (Note, the others were my family members…hey, you have to start somewhere!).
This recipe is absolutely decadent.
Do not make these if you are on a diet. Do not make these if you do not have self restraint.
Do make these if you want to be gloriously indulgent, if you want to make others in your life squeal with glee, or if you want to make them for yourself and just think about how very lucky you are…
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips (divided, 1- 1/2 & 1-1/2)
- 1 stick butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- In pan over simmering water melt unsweetened chocolate, 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips and butter until smooth (You can also do this step in the microwave. Stir ever 30 seconds and do NOT burn)
- In small bowl, stir flour, baking powder and salt
- In another bowl, beat eggs with sugar until mixture is thick; beat in vanilla and espresso powder
- Fold chocolate into sugar/egg mixture
- Fold flour mixture in and stir in remaining 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips with a wooden spoon
- Let stand for 15 minutes!!! (Do not, I repeat, Do NOT miss this step)
- On baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, drop heaping tablespoons 2″ apart
- Bake 8-12 minutes until puffed and shining and cracked on top
- Let cool on baking sheet
- Transfer to rack to cool completely
(Note: Depending on the oven temperature, the time can vary. Mine were in the oven for about 12 minutes, and still were ooey gooey. )